Skip to main content

A bit different


I love CAS cards and most of the
 times I use lots of white.  
But I also want to learn to create 
cards with more color, layering 
and using other materials. 

Speaking of mixed media. 

I tried a few things and I know that 
 there's a lot of inspiration and
 tutorials on You Tube and Pinterest. 
But there is so much to learn so I 
attended a mixed media workshop
 back in May at "Bij Oma Dee".
And I discovered a whole new world 
of techniques, layers and colors.

The workshop was amazing, 
Miranda's hospitality and shop are fab
 and it was a great day! 
But I wasn't very productive:) 
I came home with 2 tags that were almost finished.
 The workshop kit was filled to the brim
 so there is still more to make. 

To start easy I made my first tag
 with shades of blue distress ink. 
 The sentiment is from Tim Holtz too.
And so are the stencil and 
embossing paste I used:




Back home I added a splatter stamp
 from Precious Remembrance,
teared some washi tape and 
added a few small embellishments. 
A bit of hemp cord as a finishing touch:




The next tag was made with 
bold shades of yellow 
and paired up with brown.
The butterfly stamp and background
stencil are both from Tim Holtz:




I splattered some gold paint and  
back home I added a few golden sequins.
I haven't decided yet if I am using twine or hemp cord:






At home I made a card using
 different techniques and layers.

I used 2 colors of SU ink 
and my watercolour pencil 
to create a background.
And added some gold metalllic 
paste from Heidi Swapp
 using a stencil from Tim Holtz.
After that I heat embossed a stamp from PTI 
using white embossing powder:




Topped of with a sentiment 
cut from glitter cardstock
 and a little wooden heart.
It's not as colourful as most of the 
 mixed media projects are: I am just
 not the type for a rainbow of colors. 
But I love using different techniques:





Thanks for stopping by!
Stella



Comments

Kirsty Vittetoe said…
You are making such fabulous projects!
Mariken said…
Wit vind ik altijd mooi en verveelt me niet! Maar ik moet zeggen dat je ook al geweldig goed kunt omgaan met wat kleur, ik vind je labels echt prachtig!! Fijn weekend, voor straks!!
Je@net said…
Wat een mooie projecten, Stella. Labels zijn erg goed gelukt en ook het kaartje is prachtig. Leuk om eens andere technieken te proberen tijdens een workshop. Maar toch behoud je jouw eigen stijl, erg mooi gedaan!
GerJanne said…
Hoi Stella,
Ik zie je zo zitten bij de workshop helemaal enthousiast en verbaasd over de technieken en mogelijkheden. Hihihi....maar de tags zijn heel mooi! Prachtige kleuren zijn het.
Je birthday kaartje is ook weer helemaal leuk!
Groetjes,
GerJanne
Evy G said…
Een béétje anders? Dit is toch een hele uitdaging geweest voor jou? Knap dat je jezelf zo uitdaagt! En er dan ook nog een mooi resultaat mee krijgt! Heel erg leuk (al hou ik toch ook van jouw witte, strakke kaarten!)
Rhodé said…
Je hebt jezelf uitgedaagd! Leuk om te zien dat je, zeker bij het kaartje, toch je eigen stijl behoudt. Je kaartje is echt prachtig!
Ros Crawford said…
These are all gorgeous especially your card ... I'm so glad that you are trying new techniques... you are really good at this!
Marjan Küppers said…
Erg leuk dat je aan de slag gaat met MM en wat uit je comfortzone stapt daarmee. ik vind je projectjes heel mooi geworden, vooral de kaart is echt een plaatje! Het subtiele wat jij altijd hebt laat zich in deze creaties ook weer zien!
Audrey Pettit said…
How fun, Stella! Your projects are fabulous, and I think it's awesome that you're trying out some new techniques. There's nothing like learning new things to keep that creative spark going. Love your tags! Great colors, and I really like the stenciling. Awesome stamps, too. And your card is really cool! Love the background you made, and love how it's set off with the crisp white frame. I can see the new techniques you've learned, mixed with your lovely clean style. What a fun combo!
Ellen said…
Wow, das even een andere Stella! Wat leuk dat jij ook zo met andere technieken bezig bent. Jouw witte kaarten zijn altijd super, maar deze gekleurde mogen er ook zijn. Blijf maar lekker experimenteren zou ik zeggen. Daar komt vast nog veel moois uit voort. Goed weekend!
Mac Mable said…
Wow fabulous mixed media projects. Great colours and techniques. Fantastic to see you out of your comfort zone and looking forward to seeing many more mixed media projects, you are a natural x
Danielle said…
De labels zijn mooi maar het kaartje vind ik echt WAUW!!! Prachtig Stella!!
Maria said…
Gorgeous projects, Stella! Such lovely color and wonderful mixed media technique!!
Marina said…
Breath-taking! I think particularly the final card, I can still see your style but with a mixed-media twist and that's great.
Andie Miller said…
All of your tags are beautiful. I super love your CAS looking cards, but these are beautiful, too. However, that card knocks it out of the park. So subtle, yet colorful. Beautiful!
Sue Lelli said…
FABULOUS projects! And Stella, it's whatever YOU like with Mixed Media! Some people have a kazillion layers but I'm with you ~ touches make Beautiful things like your tags and card! LOVE them!
Linda said…
Beautiful! Happy Birthday to you and warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)
Greta said…
Beautiful work, Stella! I love your style & I don't think it has to be bright colors to be mixed media. Your last card is stunning--gorgeous colors & texture--perfect!
Manja said…
Van harte gefeliciteerd, Stella! Ik wens jou nog veel gelukkige en gezonde jaren toe :)
Je creaties zijn, zoals gewoonlijk, weer prachtig!
Lieve groetjes, Manja.
Mac Mable said…
Many Happy Returns of the Day...Enjoy and have fun x
Rhodé said…
Ik zag dat je vandaag jarig bent. Van harte gefeliciteerd! En een creatief nieuw jaar gewenst!!!
Parabéns Estela, muitos anos de vida , felicidades!!!
Sarah said…
Lieve Stella, deze post van jou heb ik dan weer gemist! Mijn kaartje kwam bijna op tijd aan, dat vind ik leuk. ( soms kan het naar Ndl lang onderweg zijn ) Je resultaten van de workshop zijn top, een leuk begin. Anderen kunnen je echt inspireren en dat is zo fijn! Liefs xxxx
Mona Pendleton said…
Wonderful collection of projects Stella! Love all the inky details!